Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Quilts Galore!!

It is that time of year...time to get all the quilts out of the cedar chest and refold them.  This is something that my mother and I used to do.  She insisted on it so that the quilts would not permanently crease and to reduce any chance of the spots that quilts can get when stored in cedar.  This is my first time of doing this since mom passed away so I was overjoyed when my 5 year old son wanted to help with the 'old blankets'.  
I have three cedar chest full of these quilts.  All of them were handmade by a member of my family, perhaps with the assistance of their friends.  There used to be quilting circles and quilting bees- where a group of ladies got together and work to help each other or just keep each other company.  The quilts shown below are just the contents of one cedar chest.  I apologize that I do not know the names of most of them though I know that my mom documented this so I will have to dig that out and update later.

This is one of my daughter's favorites...

Quilt 1


Quilt 2
This is one of my favorites- I just love the colors! (and I think I may recognize some of the fabric from pictures) and it was son's fave as well!




Quilt 3
This one is a group effort- each diamond has the name of the lady that quilted it.  This one is quite old.



Quilt 4
Love the red in this one



Quilt 5
This one is either much older or was just used more as it is showing its age...



Quilt 6
I wonder if they meant for this one to have the ring of darker fabric in the pattern or they just ran out of the lighter fabric??



Quilt 7
I think this is a wedding ring? Purple flowers.



Quilt 8
Another older one.  I love the print in the light fabric.  Windmills maybe?


So that is the contents of one cedar chest.  All have been refolded and put away until it comes time to refold them again in the fall.  Hopefully my little helper will be just as willing at that time...it was not nearly as sad with his happy little hand and sweet comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment